Sunday, November 8, 2009

3D Cartoon


I'm enrolled in a 3D cartoon class this quarter and it is awesome!!! I can believe how many of us overlook the capabilities of different animation styles within 3D, but I love making my animations "cartoony". In this class we have developed and studied the capabilities of stretchy rigs and some are a complete joy to use. Although in fair warning, ALL RIGS HAVE THEIR LIMITS! Regardless, I urge you to give a try and branch out a bit. It is very important to know and be able to do naturalistic animation, but don't be afraid to push it even to the point of looking like a cartoon. My thesis incorporates 1940's Golden Age Warner Brothers cartoons, so I am loving this new development of style.

Also, another assignment I am working on in this class is 100 poses with a character in Maya. I will probably use 2-3 different rigs, but if you want to get used to a rig and develop your posing skills try this assignment. Your poses will become a lot stronger and your animations will get better. Another thing I've learned this quarter is that there is NO MAGIC in 3D feature animation. It's all about practice and experience of creating good poses. So here's one of my animations from this class and a snapshot of a pose that I created.



To be honest this is how I feel walking through downtown Savannah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a nice animation. Good motion, very cartoony and interesting.