Saturday, October 4, 2008

Overlappin It (Week 3)

My current assignment is to work on a wave cycle. Basically focusing on overlapping action and follow thru. It's a fairly simple assignment, but is KEY in creating fluid animations. Our assignment was to sketch 10 pgs in our sketchbook of wavy lines and any examples were there is a waving movement. Then we have to choose one to animate. The simplest one is a blade of seaweed that waves back and forth and get it to cycle.

For better and illustrated examples of this principle refer to pages 301-302 in the Animator's Survival Kit.

There is good source that my professor referenced for us and his name is Michel Gange. Check out his site at http://www.gagneint.com/

Here is one of his works that I'm sure you have seen and I am really fond of. Michel actually is really talented at creating hand drawn effects which can be very fun to play with. Now a days, we have all of these programs to do fancy particle effects, but I really dislike them and think they're rather cheesy. However, in the good old days they had to create these effects by hand, and I feel there is a wonderful aesthetic to these unique creations. Check out Michel's Film Prelude to Eden.



So check out these sources and when I get the chance I'll add to this post with the work I did and some examples of how to draw such an assignment.

No comments: